Tuesday 28 October 2014

Large scale, florals and doodles

Last week we had a 2tutor crit with Alex and Rihanna which was really useful because the main idea that I took from the tutorial was to be more experimental. I brought up the fact that I was feeling lost but I was reassured that at this point in the project experimenting and trying new techniques will make my work stronger in the end, which is what I aimed to do this week.

Large scale experiments: casting shadows of plants and represeting with different tools in 5 minutes

After the shadow drawings that I did last week, I wanted to continue this, as well as bringing in the data part of my project by making them a set of experiments. I therefore made myself do them in 5 minutes and experimented with different tools like a stick (left), a tool made out of scrap cardboard (middle) and a brush on a stick, a meter away from my body (right). I was really happy with the way they turned out as it loosened me up, and created effects that were out of my control such as the dripping paint.

I was also keen to try out different styles this week, and also creating an all over pattern. I therefore created an all over floral with gouache, and scanned it in to play around on photoshop to create the two versions below. I enjoyed creating more stylised work as I haven't done it before, however, on reflection, I dont believe that this does justice to my concept so I probably wont take it further, unless it's mixed with other more relevant elements.



 I also created more 'experiments' this week including creating 3 'doodle' style drawings in increasing time to link back the idea of creating my own data. I then produced the image below, mixing them together. Although I like the line qualities in this piece, I think that the large mix of elements might be too much. I feel I could solve this by either mixing it with painterly qualities or not using so many different elements. However, I feel that if I added colour I might like it more.

Combinations of 'doodle' experiments

No comments:

Post a Comment