Friday 24 April 2015

Live Brief: Tigerprint: Mark Making

This month I decided to take part in the most recent Tigerprint competition which is based on Mark Making. I wanted to take the opportunity to use the natural theme that I have been working with within the brief of mark making. I therefore looked at textures and patterns found within nature, as well as using natural objects to make pattern. The idea of printing with natural objects and making my own tools to paint with was an idea that I left behind in the Practice unit, but now that it's relevant, I decided to pick it back up again.


I started off by collecting plants and natural objects that I could use to paint, or make tools with. I also observed natural patterns and textures to replicate with the tools, as shown below.


I enjoyed the challenge of completing a shorter project that allowed me to work with more abstract patterns, whilst picking up work I had left behind. After sampling with the mark making that I had completed, I selected a final collection of eight designs shown below. I decided to use two different colour ways, to show how I can use colour, whilst trying to cater to the brief, as I don't know what colours they are looking for.


I have submitted the designs with orange circles next to them, because they fit the brief, whilst all being different and suiting their context. The pastel stripes design (top left) was shortlisted, which I am pleased with because it shows that I was working well towards the breif. I also completed a photoshoot to show how I visualise these designs in the context of gift wrap.


No comments:

Post a Comment