Friday 5 September 2014

Visiting the 2014 MMU degree show: Lindsay Swan

Lindsay Swans work was also very inspiring. Whilst walking through the degree show her work caught my eye because of the fantastic patterns as well as the 3D products on her display.

Photo taken from MMU Degree show - Lindsay Swan

What I love about her prints is the intricate use of colour and also the scale, composition and contrast within the collection. There is so much texture in her work, and it appears hand drawn yet digital at the same time. Her colour palette is beautiful and I hope that the colour in my collection next year is that good.

Photo taken from MMU Degree show - Lindsay Swan

After reading more about her work, I found that she was inspired by a month of traveling in Thailand, and the patterns and architecture that she came across. She also mentioned that she was inspired by an artist called Barbara Hulanicki who I hadn't heard of before, and looking into her work was also very inspiring for me.

Photo taken from MMU Degree show - Lindsay Swan

The context for her designs is gift wrap which is something else that I am very interested in. I have always loved patterns for gift wrap and this is one option that I am considering as a final outcome next year. Unfortunately after searching for Lindsay online I can't find any more of her work, from a website, blog, twitter or Linkedin. I would have loved to see more of her collection so I have emailed her to see if I can learn more about her wonderful work.

No comments:

Post a Comment