Thursday 18 September 2014

Summer Work: Preparing for Final Year: Media, Process and Context.

Part of the work I have completed before going back to University has involved thinking more deeply about what I want to produce and achieve next year. Below are two boards that I created to show the context of my work, and the technical skills that I want to focus on throughout the year.

Context Board


This year, I want my work to have a variety of contexts. I intend to create designs that can be applied across many surfaces, including soft furnishings, wallpaper, giftware and stationery. At the moment I am considering creating two different collections for large scale designs, and small scale designs. When considering this as a final outcome, I looked at work from this years degree show from both Lindsay Swan (http://jennasimpson94.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/visiting-2014-mmu-degree-show-lindsay.html) and Jessica Brown (http://jennasimpson94.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/visiting-2014-mmu-degree-show-jessica.html) as these artists work towards a similar audience. I reflected on what I learnt from them in the posts I have linked. 

My work experience at Digetex and Tigerprint has also inspired me as I designed for wallpapers, cushions, giftware and cards, teaching me about their audiences. For example, when designing cards, I learnt that a designer is designing for two customers; the person buying the card and the person who the card is for. I also looked at designers and companies such as Rebecca Newport, Paperchase and Rachael Taylor who create gorgeous designs for a variety of contexts to inspire my work this year. At this point I am unsure about whether I want to work freelance, as part of a studio or as a designer maker, so looking at these artists should help me confirm my context.

Media/Procces board

I also have a clear idea about the technical skills that I want to focus on this year. As I am located within print, I want to create print designs that have both a hand drawn and digital element to them. I feel that this added a great quality to my work in second year and I want to continue this next year. I also want to develop my colour and digital skills whilst doing this, and I hope that by looking at artists like Khristian Howell for inspiration, I will be able to achieve this.  


No comments:

Post a Comment