Tuesday 4 December 2012

Drawing day 1:

Today we got our brief for the sampling project: Data! So in today's drawing session we concentrated on drawing the natural data found in a tree cross section, as each of the rings show information about each year's growth. 

For the first two exercises we were given strict instructions: we had 30 minutes to complete it in, each band had to be no more than 3mm apart, we had to work on A1 paper and we had to draw concentric rings. I worked on the floor for both of these as well. An additional rule for the first task was that we had to use our left hand and draw it in pencil, without sharpening it as we went. This created data in its self, how HB pencils wear down over time. This was the result, and I really liked the quirky, shaky lines it produced, as I couldn't have produced them with my right hand. It represented a trees cross section well too, and if I had done it with my right hand, it might have been too perfect.


The additional rules for the next drawing were that we could use our correct hands to draw in any soft media, which had to be extended on a garden cane/dowel. Mine was very long which made it hard, but towards the outer layers it was easier because the curves were less harsh. I liked the rippling effect it created, but there were a few slips of the charcoal where I lost control at the top/bottom of the curve. This does add character but it can look messy. When all of these drawings were put together, it was great to see the variation of tone when people used oil bar or graphite.


The only instruction for the last task was to draw directions out of a maze. I decided to use some of the techniques I had learnt by working on the wall, and using my left hand. I used graphite sticks to draw this maze inspired by the drawings we had just done on the tree trunks. I worked from the centre (with a sharp point) to the outside with the graphite getting blunter and showing more of the pitted texture of the wall.




No comments:

Post a Comment