Friday 14 December 2012

Drawing from my Chromatography

After doing so many experiments with chromatography, I wanted to start drawing from them and developing my ideas further. 

This page in my sketchbook consists of two of my chromatography experiments (small) and a bigger representation of the separated colours using gouache.
I then decided to see if I could abstract my work even further by taking some of the line qualities and pattern from these sketchbook pages and translate it into a drawing which doesn't obviously show chromatography.


To expand on my ideas further, I went to the library to gather some books based on chromatography. Many of them contained pictures and graphs so I took them back to the studio to work with. I walked around the table I was working on and picked up all of the 'data' I could find (bits of unused paper that I could relate to what the people around me were doing) and used these as a background. Then I placed ink and water on the different pieces of paper to see how the colours separated. When this was dry I painted on images and text from the chromatography books in ink, to form a collage of different forms of data that I was exposed to.



No comments:

Post a Comment