Sunday 3 February 2013

Developing my hand stitch with chromatography!

This week I have finished my 3 weeks in hand stitch. Towards the end, I really got the hang of linking my chromatography with stitch. At the start of the 3 weeks I tried to represent the chromatography data in my sketchbook with stitch but this week I have incorporated the two much better to create some lovely results. 

For this sample I did chromatography on white embroidery thread and used this to sew with.


I did another example in the same way; with some white thread, and some with chromatography on. I then added drops of more water to make the ink run. As the fabric underneath was water resistant, the few threads that did absorb the water created this lined pattern.


I then worked out that if I washed the fabrics with washing up liquid, I could make them absorbent which is what I did with the following example. I wanted to see how different stitches reacted with the chromatography.


I liked the french knots in the example above because they look on colour at a different rate to the surrounding fabric. I therefore did a sample with just french knots. 

In the left sample, I did chromatography on string and sewed a pattern representing inks movement through chromatography. The sample on the right had the same pattern but in white thread, which I then did chromatography on top of.



The french knots in this sample had a lovely range of colours


The french knots here really took on the vibrant colours of the ink.

When I move onto machine stitch I will be experimenting with the same ideas, seeing how different stitches and fabrics act when I apply chromatography.


No comments:

Post a Comment