Thursday 21 February 2013

Nava Lubelski

Lubelski’s works create a tension between destruction and sewing’s traditional role as a dutiful act of repair. Her stitches refuse to stay in their proper place; they reject usefulness, instead perversely rejoicing in damages and defects as occasions for celebration and delight -- Los Angeles Times
My work explores the contradictions between the impulse to destroy and the compulsion to mend. I juxtapose rapid acts of destruction, such as spilling and cutting, with painstaking, restorative labor. Embroideries are hand-stitched over stains and rips, contrasting the accidental with the meticulous, constructing narrative from randomness and mistake. -- Nava Lubelski


I think this artist relates well to my work because her work is graphic, whilst also being textural. I could also consider the idea of making stains and tears in my fabric to create another texture before embroidering into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment