Saturday 23 February 2013

Final week of Sampling!

Being inducted into the Pin Tuck foot this week has helped me to round of my project nicely. It uses a double needle to pull the fabric together and form 'tucks' or ridges in the fabric. It creates a good background for other techniques, but has a lot of interesting uses too.

I enjoyed using this foot to couch chords, and in the sample below, I cut off parts of the fabric to reveal the dark leathery chord underneath.


I have managed to incorporate 3D elements by using the same method as above, but pulling the chords up through the gaps to create loops which I thought added another dimension and texture.


I also found that the back of the pin tuck samples were interesting as they created small dots and lines. In the sample below, I couched a bobbled yarn, so the result on the back was this intricate piece, which I then embellished.


This foot also sparked some ideas of how to relate my hand and machine embroidery, which I have wanted to do since I started machine embroidery, as shown in these two samples below.


If I had more time on this project, I would definitely look at more ways to link the different techniques which I have learnt in machine and hand together, to create some interesting pieces of embroidery.

No comments:

Post a Comment