Tuesday 16 December 2014

Botanical wallpaper drawings

After last weeks tutorial I realised that it's okay to commit time to completing complex large scale drawings. After developing my mood boards last week, I wanted to spend this week developing some drawings for my wallpaper collection.

I drew 4 flowers on A2 sheets of paper using methods I used when researching botanical drawings (pencil and watercolour). The type of flowers that I drew also linked back to the science part of my brief as each flower had medicinal benefits, such as the echinacea treating cold and flu. I drew them with the intension of putting them together into one arrangement, however in the future I might consider drawing leaves, flowers and stems separately to assemble on the computer to allow my drawings to be even more flexible.


The drawings took up most of my time this week, however I did have time to arrange them into a half drop repeat shown below. I think that the colour is working well, and I am also pleased that I managed to create a good repeat.


Although I like the result, and I could see it working well as a wallpaper, I feel that playing with different backgrounds could add another element to it. I also want to try arranging the elements in a more botanical way, possibly incorporating writing like traditional botanical drawings.

To help with designing my wallpapers I also created a few boards of wallpaper research and contextual research (one is shown below). These have allowed me to focus my attention on specifically who I am designing for, and I feel the next stage of designing and drawing will be even more focused.

No comments:

Post a Comment