Tuesday 30 December 2014

Ginger Squiggles Crafts

As part of my work this year I have developed my own bespoke craft business called Ginger Squiggles Crafts, as an opportunity to sell products which I have made and designed. I have learnt a lot about the business world, and how to sell and promote my products, which will be useful if I want to sell designs, or surface pattern products when I graduate. (www.facebook.com/gingersquigglescrafts)


I design all of my bespoke cards which has allowed me to work closely to customer briefs and consider commercial aspects such as pricing and time scales, which are crucial when designing in the real world. I have also had to consider my online presence, on platforms such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, as this is how all of my customers find me. This involves taking good photographs, as my customers don't see the product in person when purchasing, and updating these sites regularly. I also need to make it easy for customers to see the service that I offer, as well as the pricing of the products. I feel that this is working well as I already have almost 2,500 likes on Facebook and am making a good profit after being set up for over 6 months.


Another part of this business involves working towards trends and future events. I therefore work months in advance to design christmas cards, and valentines day cards, to meet customers needs. This has also taught me a lot about customers, as when designing cards, I am designing for two customers: the person buying the card, and the person receiving the card.


I am hoping that this experience will help me to sell my own textiles and surface pattern products when I graduate, as I am considering stocking my products in shops and markets, as well as on other online platforms as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment