Saturday 10 November 2012

Reactive dyes

After experimenting with Pigment dyes for the past few weeks I have decided to try an alternative method; reactive dyes. I have found them much harder to mix because of the more complicated processes, but I like the fact that they don't sit on top of the fabric, so therefore you can't feel the dye. 


I am happy with the sample above, however the underneath sample had problems with the dye seeping into the surrounding fabric. I thoroughly washed it, yet the dye still spread and left yellow circles on my fabric. I think it was due to the thickness of the cotton, which was as thick as denim.


At the moment I still prefer working with pigment dyes but when I get used to the processes I think reactive dyes will suit my style of working more as I prefer working on thinner fabrics where the pigment cant be felt.


No comments:

Post a Comment