Friday 2 November 2012

Print room: episode 2!

Yesterday was my second day in the print room and I produced a few more prints. I also managed to mix some more colours to compliment my work, and I used a binder called aquaspand which makes the fabric puffy. I tried out different techniques and used my initiative to think of ways to help me when screen printing, such as using a hard spatula rather than a big squeegee for small areas, and using masking tape and paper to make masking my screen off easier.


One technique I tried, shown in the background of the left picture, involved painting my binder straight onto the fabric to colour it, rather than using a blank screen or dying.

On the samples below, the white, small leaves and birds are done with aquaspand which has a 3D texture. I found it quite hard to work with as you have to leave each motif to dry between prints otherwise some of the aquaspand comes off so it doesnt puff up. This is what happened on the leaf sample below, as I covered each leaf with paper between prints, which just took off the aquaspand.



I'm quite happy with the selection of fabrics that I have produced, and next week I would like to try printing onto fabrics that I've dyed myself and also using reactive dyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment