Thursday 14 March 2013

Unit X!

This week Unit X has started, and after a few days of feeling lost and confused, I am now getting excited; my head filling with lots of ideas to get me started.

As the Art school is celebrating its 175th Birthday this year, our project theme is 175.
I am starting to consider ways that I can use 175 to do my research to get some good ideas for a project.

For example, this page in my sketchbook involved going to a second hand book shop, and going to the 1st book case, the 7th shelf, and buying the 5th book, [1, 7, 5] which happened to be Alice in Wonderland.


When I got the book home, I photocopied page 175 and started to manipulate it. I cut strips of 0.175 inches, and squares of 175mm x 175mm.


I liked creating something with an idea that was very logical and ordered, but then by rearranging it, making it more random and in some cases chaotic.

As we are working in a group for the first time, I am looking forward to collaborating and learning about other peoples practice. As the final outcome is an exhibition, I am already thinking about creating an installation piece. I usually work quite flat and 2D, but the idea of having a space to exhibit my work is exciting me and making me think outside the 2D plane.

I like the way that this artist, Dawn Ng, uses the space to create a sort of illusion with objects that are as simple as triangles and paper planes. 

I would like to replicate this sort of illusion in my work, if my project leads in this sort of direction.


No comments:

Post a Comment