Tuesday 26 March 2013

Slinkachu

Slinkachu is a street artist and photographer who creates street artwork on a small scale and in a humorous manor. One of his most well known collections, The 'Little People Project', started in 2006 which involves repainting and remodelling miniature characters from train sets. He leaves his scenes on the street as a street art installation, and then takes photographs. 

"The street-based side of my work plays with the notion of surprise and I aim to encourage city-dwellers to be more aware of their surroundings. The scenes I set up, more evident through the photography and the titles I give these scenes aim to reflect the loneliness and melancholy of living in a big city, almost being lost and overwhelmed. But underneath this, there is always some humour. I want people to be able to empathise with the tiny people in my works."


One of his other well known collections is called 'Inner City Snail' in which he 'graffitis' on snails as part of his artwork. I find this both amusing and clever at the same time. His moving artworks are a daily part of the city which people don't usually like, and he is taking people by surprise by the way he changes their appearance.





I enjoy the humour in his work, and find it very clever at the same time. He leaves the art in the street for people to come across which I also find very clever, involving the interaction of the public.

I'd love to take forward some of his ideas into my work. I like the idea of creating humour in my work, as well as getting people to think about the hidden messages, and involving the city around us. I also think the idea of creating small, shrunk, work would work well for me, so that when people see my work in an exhibition, they might need a magnifying glass to look at it closer, as though they were a large Alice, looking into a shrunken world.

No comments:

Post a Comment