Friday 5 October 2012

Fun times on the bus!

Today felt a bit strange, I tried to do some drawings in my sketchbook on the bus to reflect my journey home. It turned out how I wanted it to (kind of) but I'm pretty sure everyone thought I was a nutter. 

Soon after getting on the bus I got out my sketchbook to draw, and I quickly realised that what interested me most was inside the bus, such as patterns and litter, rather than the buildings and roads outside. I took an interest in the litter on the floor and what people were wearing; it was very hard to draw people's belongings without them getting suspicious. At one point the school boys shoes in front of me caught my attention. The leather was frayed and they looked quite battered which only intrigued me more. I started to think about the shoes journey and what they must have been through to look like they did.


I also found that the annoyance of a shaky bus could play to my advantage whilst sketching. Although at times it looked clumsy, it added a free feel to my work. I also played around with keeping my pen on the page and pulling my sketchbook past the pen to make a line that became jagged with the movements of the bus. The last line I drew used the same concept except it was when I was walking off the bus.

As development of this, I'd like to try doing more of the movement lines because they reflect the rhythm of my journey. I'd also like to draw more of the rubbish on the buses and possibly think about collecting bits to play about with in my sketchbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment