Monday 8 October 2012

Manchester!

Today I travelled into the centre of Manchester to look for print inspiration. I started off looking in high street shops such as New Look, H&M, Debenhams, Republic and Urban Outfitters. I found lots of prints that I loved so I took lots of pictures. After this I visited some more upmarket stores including Harvey Nicols, Selfridges and Ted Baker. Unfortunately some of my favourite garments I couldn't take pictures of, but here are some of my favourites.

The first picture here intrigued me because of how simple but effective the pattern was. It reminded me of one of the squares we did for the first drawing task, 'broken lines on a smooth surface', shown on the right.


I also found that animal prints are very popular at the moment, the most prominent being snake skin and leopard print. In the example on the left I particularly like the blurring impression used to enhance the print. The print on the right caught my eye because of the lovely colour palette as well as the smooth texture of the fabric.



This example caught my eye because of the kaleidoscopic imagery used. I found this mirroring quite popular throughout the day.


These next two prints use florals and branches in a very modern way. The colours in both excite me and maybe the reason that I like them is because they don't immediately shout out floral, they're intriguing to the eye. Throughout the day I spotted that the traditional floral imagery is being used a lot, however this is the kind of floral pattern that interests me. 


As well as visiting clothes stores, I also went to Paperchase which never fails to inspire me. I found tonnes of inspiration here but this notebook particularly stood out to me, with the pale greys and whites providing a perfect background for the colourful birds.


 Next, I visited Abakhan Fabrics, and I loved being able to feel so many different fabrics and investigate their texture and patterns. This one was one of my favourites because of the use of colour and pattern.



No comments:

Post a Comment