Saturday 12 October 2013

Developing my ideas and visual research.

My work this week has been based on completing the targets that I set myself at the end of last weeks tutorial. Below are the targets, as well as how successful my response to them was.

Combine some digital/photographic ideas with my mark making.


This week, I wanted to use the techniques that I had used on my summer photos on scans on my own drawings and mark making. I tried this on one of my line drawings but I don't think it was as effective as my first attempt with my seal photo. 

(photo to come)

I didn't have time to do any more samples of a similar nature this week, but as my work develops I will continue to try out this method and see how I can manipulate the drawings I do.

Mixing ideas together 


I really enjoyed playing around with this target this week, and I would definitely like to merge more of my ideas together in the same way next week. Below are drawings representing this, where I combined the paintings of my fingers playing the piano, and my drawings based on the rhythm of the music.



I felt as though the example on the right was a more successful attempt because it looks less busy. The drawing on the left was done by drawing first and then playing with my fingers on top, but the right sample was done the opposite way around, so I drew around the finger prints, which I think looks simpler. A close up is shown below.


Play with the idea of repetition.

Use sentences and words to do with Phases to create art.

I felt that playing with repetition was very important this week because the track is made up of a 12 note sequence that is repeated over and over, so it is a big part of the piece which I haven't yet got across in my work. The piece I did to represent this was also based on a descriptive sentence, describing the piece of music: 'Creating rhythmic pulses that are surprising and uncharacteristic'. I tried to represent this by doing a drawing in 1 minute. I then repeated this, each time getting quicker and quicker (as the notes in the track are being played faster and faster). Eventually the last drawing was done in 3 seconds.




I then put these into photoshop to see if I could layer them up, again being inspired by the layering in the piece. I wasn't too happy with the results of my experiments because I feel that I dont have much experience on photoshop. However I feel like my most sucesful samples are shown below, which were where I tried to layer the drawings on top of each other.




I think my experiments became unsuccessful when I started to make them into patterns that could be used for digital prints. I think it was worthwhile doing them, as I always learn every time I go on photoshop, but I feel like with more experience, they could be stronger. 



After completing the task, it made me realise that I wanted to play with repetition, and use sentences to inspire my work more often: especially because repetition is such an important part in the piece of music.

Look into transferring the track on to an App that can turn the sound into waves


I bought an App called Audacity this week, and I loved looking into the results that it produced. When zooming into the details, it was interesting to see the different tones and the linear qualities of the sound waves. 




After examining the results I tried to represent them using gouache.


I also tried to take a more stylised approach, using the triangles as well as the line drawing on the right which I thought was really effective.


Investigate minimal artists
This was the last target this week, and the results are shown in the post above.

No comments:

Post a Comment