Friday 25 October 2013

Stitch: 3D samples

After creating my stitch samples last week, I felt like I needed to develop them further. I decided that the tight long stitches which i was using to replicate sound waves, could instead be suspended, by holding together card to create shapes.


I also tried to create an element of blurring in some of my photos to link in some other aspects of the project.


I thought the crossover of the straight threads created interesting geometric shapes.


For my last sample I decided to use a simple shape, but paint the threads with black ink in the shape of the song waves I have been working with from Piano Phase. I thought this was particularly effective when looking at the piece from an angle.


I thought that the stitches crossing over in my 3D samples might create some interesting shadows so (despite the camera quality) I decided to take some photos of the shadows I was creating. As well as casting shadows on the wall, I also cast them on the inside of the card to create this bent effect shown below.


Bending the card also made the yarn slack to create this wobbled effect. The black quality of the ink also showed up nicely in these images below when the light was shone on it.



No comments:

Post a Comment