Sunday 13 October 2013

Minimal Artists.

My final task this week was to look into minimal artists, as Piano Phase was created in the Minimal Movement, by a minimalist musician.

Piet Mondrian...
... was a Dutch painter, famous for his work during the minimal art movement. Music was a big influence in his work, and he was fascinated by American jazz, particularly boogie-woogie, finding its syncopated beat, flippant approach to melody and dynamic rhythm particularly of interest.


I like his linear and colourful responses to the music, and I would like to try and interpret my work in a similar, linear way, as that is how Piano Phase sounds in my head.

Sol Lewitt...
... is another artist that was part of the minimalist movement, as well as being a Conceptual artist. The use of instructions was a major strategy used by such Conceptual artists, and Sol LeWitt's instructions were made directly on the wall surface and sometimes took teams of people days or weeks to execute.


LeWitt likened his instructions to musical scores, which are realised in a new way every time they’re played, and it’s possible for LeWitt’s wall drawings to take slightly different forms, depending on how his directions are implemented.The idea was that the person who was carrying out the instructions, (often a team at the Gallery) become part of the creative process.

Successive Rows of Horizontal, Straight Lines from Top to Bottom, and Vertical, Straight Lines from Left to Right, 1972

I could reflect this in my work by getting someone else to set me some instructions, or give someone else some instructions and see what the results look like to give myself some inspiration based on the work of Minimal artists like Sol LeWitt.

No comments:

Post a Comment