Monday 21 January 2013

"It's okay to get lost" - weekly meeting 1!

The subject of todays lecture was the process of getting from A to B with a project. It helped me to realise some aspects of my practice that I could improve on. I know in myself that I am sometimes scared to step outside the box incase my ideas 'doesn't make sense' or 'doesn't fit in', but I realise that I need to be divergent in my thinking to make sure that I open my mind to anything that I could possibly think of to help my project flow. Even if I end up with an idea that doesn't seem to be working, this may 'piggyback' onto another idea, so I cant ignore ideas just because I assume they wont work. Another thing I get scared of in a project is getting lost in my work, coming to a dead end, not knowing where to go next, but I soon learned that it's okay to get lost. I feel as though I need to become more confident with my ideas to ensure that I have a strong project, without skipping any possibilities because I'm too afraid to try them.

The designer of the week this week also really caught my attention. Artcom has created this beautiful sculpture called Kinetic Rain which is the worlds largest kinetic sculpture at Changhi airport Terminal 1. The video really gives a feel for the piece of art and I love how it makes rain such a beautiful thing. After reading more into the artwork, I learnt that the sequence for movement starts with all the drops moving together, as one body, then they split off, creating a uniform sequence, but not all acting together, and then they fall apart from each other, like rain, and this is my favourite part.


I also feel that examples like this will improve my practice. Usually when I'm in the middle of a project, I don't reference interesting examples of art in my work if I don't think it's relevant, but I feel that doing more of this might influence my work in different ways. For example, this piece might make me consider scale, 3D art, sculpture and moving pieces as part of my project, which I might not have thought about before.

No comments:

Post a Comment