Monday 28 January 2013

Strategy - weekly meeting 2!

The lecture today was based on our artistic strategy: how we approach projects, and work our way through them. It made me realise that I have a distinctive way of approaching projects which I hadn't realised before. What would happen if I mixed this up a bit??

One idea that interested me from the lecture was 'Obliqué strategy cards'. The cards present dilemmas which can challenge the mind to think of new ideas. This is great for me because my way of working is very logical, but these could make me create something that I wouldn't have thought of before, and make me think more laterally.

I therefore downloaded the app onto my phone. The first dilemma that was given to me was "Instead of building a wall, try making a brick", which I thought was a very interesting idea. I read this as "instead of concentrating on making a fabric sample, why not try making the fabric". Other people might look at it in other ways but I thought this would really challenge my thinking. Other cards that I thought I could be inspired my include, 'abandon normal instruments', 'Where is the edge? Where does the frame start?' and 'Retrace your steps'.


Overall, I think I'd like to leave my work to chance more often, whether it's choosing one of these cards or throwing a dice to make decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment