Tuesday 1 January 2013

Oil and Water Experiments

This week I have been experimenting with light, oil, water, washing up liquid and magazine pages. After taking inspiration from Sharon Johnstone, I tried to set up my own version of a light box by putting a lamp under an upturned plastic box. I then placed a page of a magazine on top, held down with the glass full of water, washing up liquid and oil.


When the light box had no picture on, the image was very clear and crisp and the light played a nice effect on the bubbles.



Some of the results with the magazine pages were really interesting, for example in the photo on the left, the orange colour caught some full bubbles, but also the edges of many grey bubbles. 
In the photo on the right, the variety of colours is striking, with the pale blue, orange, peach and the mossy greens.


The two pictures below remind me of lavender. 


For the picture below I really swirled the oil to separate the oil into smaller bubbles, which looks almost 3D, like bubbles in a drink.


When these smaller bubbles settled, this is what they looked like. I love the grey metallic looking bubbles, which I think were created by the washing up liquid gathering as well.


In the picture below, Some of the bubbles have two colours that appear swirled together, which I think is effective. With all of these examples, I love the way the pastel colours look so opaque, when the substances that I am using, are completely transparent.


To develop this, I will print out images that I think will compliment the technique to see how I can manipulate the results, as well as altering the amount of washing up liquid that I use to see If I can replicate the metallic looking bubbles that I accidentally created.

No comments:

Post a Comment