Sunday 19 January 2014

Creating order out of Chaos.

After experimenting with different techniques this week, I wanted to try and use the method of drawing with leaves (order) to create chaos! Below is a photo of a piece I creating by pouring inks, water, and watercolour onto paper and pushing it around with leaves. In particular I used a Bay Leaf, which is actually very sharp and hard, and I found that it scratched the paper. This allowed ink to absorb into these areas more, leaving darker marks which I found really interesting.


After creating the Chaos, I started to order it. I randomly cut out leaf shapes from the paper (not intending to create any sort of pattern) and ordered them neatly onto another piece of paper. It was only at the end that I realised that the pattern I had created out of the cutout paper was actually quite interesting, so I had created a chaotic pattern without even intending to. Another unintentional aspect of the piece was the hint of beige, which occurred from the black ink mixing with water (as shown in my last blog post) which I really like! I think it added a lovely colour to the piece, and allowed the final pattern to have a sophisticated colour palette.


I really like the piece on the left, as I feel the colour, shape, pattern and composition worked well. I can see it being applied to stationary products, and aim to keep developing this idea next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment