Saturday 25 January 2014

Pattern Idea Development.

Setting up a colour palette was my main priority this week, as I knew that before I started doing any designing I needed to get this right. I therefore chose a palette of 12 colours based on 2 images that would give me a lot of colour combinations to play with.


I then decided to start drawing and designing some patterns based on my initial research. I have also really enjoyed combining my hand drawn and photoshop skills. For these 2 examples I drew the pattern in black fine liner first and edited the colour when I scanned in the image.

The first pattern was inspiredby my leaf collage piece I created last week (http://jennasimpson94.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/creating-order-out-of-chaos.html). When I scanned in the image I really enjoyed experimenting with colour combinations and thought it had potential as a pattern.



I have also tried to create some placement images this week to see whether the colour, scale and pattern work well on a small product.  It was a really useful exercise,  and I like the results but to make these images better, I want to take my own photos and have a larger range of products.



The collage piece that I created last week has also inspired a motif that I might carry forward further as a design idea.


The next pattern that I designed was based on the tree ring research I have done so far (http://jennasimpson94.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/tree-rings.html). I like the subtlety of this design, and think that its simple yet effective. When I scanned in the image I found that simple lines worked best, but I did try to fill in the rings in different colours. I don't think this worked very well but I would like to keep experimenting with this to see if I can make it work better.



During my live brief for Tigerprint (http://jennasimpson94.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/live-brief-tigerprint-typography.html), I created a pattern to go within some text, which after looking back at this week, relates well to the work I have been doing. I therefore decided to change the colours to my palette to create these patterns below.


I have really enjoyed trying out some ideas of surface pattern and also placing them onto some possible products, however I soon realised that having them in repeat would have been useful. I know how to put motifs into repeat, but I don't know how to achieve this with such intricate designs, so I will be attempting to do learn how to do this next week.



No comments:

Post a Comment