Friday 17 January 2014

Tree Rings.

I have always been fascinated by tree rings,  and how uniform and beautiful they are. They highlight order within nature, illustrating the growth each winter and summer. They are so perfect, which makes them a great subject to draw. I have been experimenting with this using various forms of media, starting by drawing the basic structure of a tree, as shown below using ink. I soon realised that what I loved about drawing the rings was the tonality that can easily be created by drawing the lines close together. Each time the next ring is drawn it changes slightly, and following this line over and over gradually morphs its original shape.


I therefore tried to recreate this using a different shape (not a ring), which is shown above using a strange kind of 'S' shape. I thought the results using fine liner were really nice, and I loved the 3D effect. It reminds me of contour lines on maps, mapping out hills and mountains.


I tried to bring some colour into my work, and represent the same thing using stripes of Gouache, but I wasn't pleased with the result. Although it looks okay, it didn't portray the effect I was hoping for, as the contour, 3D effect of the lines didnt come across. I do however, think something like this has potential for a design.


After trying to incorporate colour using stripes didn't work, I tried a different approach, by painting leaf shapes and drawing contour lines around those. I am happy with the result, and it has potential for a pattern in itself. The line effect came across well, and this proved a good way to bring in colour. I could also scan this, or another drawing, into photoshop, and try and fill in the lines as another way to add colour to the drawings.


I also used a technique I used in my last blog post, drawing with leaves, to create this piece above. I made a few swift movements with the leaves of a branch to create some inky marks, and then traced around all of them with a fine liner to create these rings. I thought the combination of chaos created by random leaf movements, and the order of drawing tree rings worked well together. I was really surprised and pleased with how it turned out, and I would like to try and create something similar again but using colour as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment