Monday 6 January 2014

Live Brief - Tigerprint Typography Competition.

As part of the Locating Unit, it is advised that we undertake a Live Brief to enhance our project and our engagement with the design world outside of University. I decided to take part in the Typography Brief created by Tigerprint, as I love pattern design, and working for Tigerprint is my ideal Job. I thought having the chance to engage with the kind of industry that I want to work in when I graduate would enhance key skills such as Photoshop and Illustrator, as well as my use of colour, and making me a more commercial designer.

I therefore dedicated one week to designing for the competition and created 5 final designs to submit. A shortened version of the brief is shown below:
This month’s theme for the competition is hand drawn typography! The hand drawn type could be applied to cards, bags and wraps, so consider how your design might work in a repeat pattern.
The design can be for any of the following occasions:
• General Birthdays (Male & Female)
• Valentine’s Day
• Mother’s Day

Here are some captions for you to use:
• Happy Birthday
• It’s party time
• Birthday sparkles
• Happy Mother’s Day
• Mum, you’re the best!
• Thank you, Mum, for everything!

I therefore responded to the brief in a variety of ways to come up with 5 very different and unique designs, which are shown below.

I experimented with hand drawing and scanning in my designs to be edited on photoshop.


I also used a graphics tablet to draw some text and objects, to give a hand drawn, yet clean feel to my designs.


Although some of my designs are more sophisticated, I tried to create some that were more quirky and unique.


I used new techniques on Illustrator to push my skills and knowledge, such as creating the pattern shown above in the word 'mum'.


This is my final design and probably the one I am most proud of. I combined hand drawn scanned in drawings, with my Illustrator knowledge to create this card.

Overall, taking part in the competition has really improved my Illustrator and Photoshop skills, as well as helping me to understand how a designer would work in the industry. I will definitely be taking part in more Tigerprint Competitions, and will keep trying to organise a work placement with Tigerprint, as this competition has made me want to work with them even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment