Wednesday 15 January 2014

Drawing With Leaves!

Nature is one of the most ordered things on the planet. Each cell, leave, stem and tree is a mathematically ordered and this is often disregarded. I wanted to use this directly in some drawings this week, so I went into my garden and cut off a section from different plants with different qualities.








First, I drew all of the branches observationally and immediately certain aspects jumped out as being applicable to pattern, such as these two plants, with the outline of the Euonymus and the star like seed heads of the Spirea.









I then drew WITH the branches dipped in ink, with both the top and bottom to see what patterns and shaped I could create.


I am very intruiged by the results, and I am going to think about what else I can do using the same effect to create patterns, drawings, or designs.


One interesting aspect of this experiment was very unexpected. When I had finished drawing with the plants I let them to dry off on kitchen paper, when these colourful, expressive marks presented themselves. I am intrigued by the fact that yellow and blue can be created from Black Parker ink.


At the moment I don't know whether or how I might develop this idea further. However, I do have ideas about how I want to develop the idea of drawing with plants. I might create some messy, chaotic pieces with the ordered plants, to represent creating chaos with order. Depending on the results, I might also continue to order this chaos again, to create a repetitive cycle or Order and Chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment