Monday 27 January 2014

Extending contact with the design world!

During this project I am making an effort to look for placements, competitions, and chances to get involved with the design world and put myself out there. So far I have entered the Tigerprint Typography design competition, and I will also enter the next one which is a surface pattern brief. This is a great way to get experience creating the type of designs that I aspire to make, and it helps me to see what Tigerprint are looking for.

I have also entered a local competition for the Waterside Open, which involves submitting up to 3 pieces of work to be exhibited, and there is also a winner, and runners up. Below are the pieces that I entered (which were framed and mounted when I entered them). I chose them because they show a wide variety of skills, and because I didn't know what they were looking for, I thought this might be the best way to submit work.

Natural form piece from A-level

Oil and Water photo from Origins L4

Chromatography Embroidery samples from Origins L4

Throughout the project I have been emailing lots of companies regarding work experience, including Greetings card Companies. So far I have heard back from a small company called Hobzy (http://hobzy.com) who are a website that post craft tutorials and pictures. They have kindly offered me some experience, and because they are based in Birmingham, I have arranged to spend a day or two with them in their studio to get an impression of what they do. So far, the hardest part of getting experience has been finding somewhere relevant and close to home. I think I will also email local secondary schools to see if the art department will take me as a volunteer for a week as teaching is definitely an option that I will consider when I graduate.

My CV is plays an important part in applying for work experience jobs, so I have been spending time making it relevant for me. However I do not have a creative CV, so I also intend to visit the Employability Hub, and get their advice on how to make a creative CV.

No comments:

Post a Comment