Monday 23 September 2013

Bridgewater Hall

Music has always played a big part in my life, but I have never thought about linking my passion for music to my art before. When visiting the bridgewater hall last week there was a percussion concert in the foyer and one piece in particular gave me some artistic inspiration. The original piece of music was written for the piano and is shown below. It is called Phases, and was written by Steve Reich.


The piece is played by 2 or more musicians who play exactly the same piece of music: whilst one remains at a constant speed, the other gradually speeds up until the bars of the music eventually overlap.  I thought I could incorporate this in some way to my artwork, for example drawing the same thing with two hands, one acting faster than the other? Or stretching or compressing my work to make them have different 'speeds'.

No comments:

Post a Comment