Wednesday 11 September 2013

Norfolk - The Villages

I loved the atmosphere of the quaint villages in Norfolk. They were scattered along the coast, and packed with small art galleries, Delicatessens, and Restaurants. There was something to look at around every corner.

Every shop and pub displayed lovely artwork, and this drawing particularly took my attention because of how simple yet effective it is. It's a quality that I would like to try and incorporate in my work.


This textile piece was also displayed in the window of a shop, and it is made out of clothing labels. It was a really large piece and the attention to detail caught my eye: I like the collage effect of such an every day item to create something completely different.


Below are some other textile objects that were sold by shops. I liked the fact that they were made locally by local artists, and the scenery was so near by. 



For example, the scenery below was seen right outside the shop. This piece particularly caught my eye because of the texture incorporated by the stitch.


I also loved the amount of pottery in the village of Cley. Below is an image of a shop which had a small pottery studio in a little room to the side of the shop.


I have always loved the type of pottery made by this shop. It is full of character, texture and rustic natural colours.


In the villages around the coast, these big colourful flowers were planted in any place they could find near the small compact buildings. There are lots of colours and textures to investigate so I cant wait to start working with them.



I particularly like how tall and thin the plants are, yet they manage to stay upright by themselves, with the bobbly buds sprawling up their stems.


The cobblestones on most of the walls around the town were used to prevent erosion from the seaside wind and rain on the bricks of buildings. As part of my visial research I might use the shapes created by the cobbles and fill them with drawings and paintings of other patterns and scenes found around the coast.  


 Whilst I was in Norfolk I visited Sandringham flower show, and it was filled with colour and texture inspiration. I particularly liked the hot pokers shown in the picture below due to the gradient of colour, from yellow to orange. The displays themselves were pieces of art, arranging colours, heights and textures to show off the flowers at their best.


Each plant, leaf and flower had something about it that inspired me. In the picture below, the colours and lines in the vibrant leaves were striking, as well as the rubbery leaves (bottom right) and the wispy grasses (top right).


No comments:

Post a Comment