Wednesday 25 September 2013

Visions of sound: Piano Phase, Steve Reich.

After starting university again this week, my first task was to chose a brief out of the five given to us for this unit, Intentions. When reading through the briefs, 'Future past' was one that stood out to me as being 'my kinda thing' but I decided to go completely against this gut instinct and try something new. The 'visions of sound' brief really interested me but also scared me. I really want to push myself and take risks, and not worry about the outcome of my work as much, which is why I decided to go for this brief.

My next decision was to choose a song to base my project on. As previously posted on my blog, I went to a concert at the Bridgewater hall during summer which featured Phases by Steve Reich, so I thought it fitting to use this as my starting point for this project. 

I have started to think about the inspiration that I can take from the track, such as repetition, distortion, and layering. I have also considered the history of the piece, as it was created in the minimalist movement, so I could look at minimal artists from that period too. With all these ideas I'm looking forward to seeing what I can create this week, seeing where the song takes me.

(Refer to post below for a link to Piano Phase)

No comments:

Post a Comment