Monday 8 April 2013

Developing shrinking ideas!

At the start of my second week of developing shrinking, I concentrated on items in our world that shrink naturally, and tried to replicate them using different media and mark making. I looked at ideas such as drying fruits, wrinkly skin, drying flowers, and also how an object can appear shrunk when it naturally deteriorates, such as a poppy turning into a seed head.


After doing this work I decided to start trying to create some more 'final' pieces which incorporate the ideas I have recently looked at. One of my favourite ideas was manipulating my drawing of a shrunken, dried orange slice on photoshop to make it look although its shrinking again!


 I also had the challenge of producing 0.5 or half of a piece and I decided to do this by using alternate squares of an image to give an impression of what it might be, almost like an optical illusion. This theme of illusion is key in my work at the moment, but it also crops up in alice in wonderland which might be a good link for me to develop with.

This piece below is my favourite from my two weeks of research, as it combines some of the ideas I have been looking at. After scanning in my drawing of poppy seed heads, I shrunk the image centre on photoshop to make it look as though it is shrinking towards the centre, creating an illusion of falling, or a tunnel. I then enhanced this effect by writing 175 shrinking towards the centre as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment