Friday 19 April 2013

Shadow Art!

After doing some work based on shadows at the start of this week,  (http://jennasimpson94.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/inspired-by-anastassia-elias.html) and having a group tutorial, I have decided to look further into shadow art, as it interests me and I feel it would work well as an installation piece at the final exhibition.

I have found some artists which do very clever art with shadows, shown below. I like the idea of illusion because this is also a key theme in Alice in Wonderland. When first spotting some of the objects below, you may wonder what's so fantastic about them, until you see the shadow it casts and realise that its an amazing piece of art that captivates your imagination.
Fred Eerdekens
Fred Eerdekens
Kumi Yamashita
Tim Noble and Sue Webster
Kumi Yamashita
On a smaller scale, I found some other artists that use shadows in a simpler way which I think at times can be more effective. In terms of my work, I think repetition of shadows would suit my work well.

Christian Boltanski


http://www.subtours.com/cms/node/75
Cuentos Chinos (Chinese Stories) is an installation inspired by the traditional Chinese Shadow Theatre. In this installation the "actors" are cheap chinese products which were bought in the popular "all for one Euro" stores.
The products are conected with around 110 motors, solenoids, fans etc and distributed over 18 small theaters with 36x40 cm base. These sceneries are standing on top of Overhead projectors so that their moving shadows will be cast to the walls of the space. 

Kumi Yamashita
As development from this research, I will try experimenting with 3D sculptures that link to the work I have done so far, and see how they interact with shadows and light.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Jenna it's Ash. I think your blog is excellent! It is both orderly and detailed. I really like the way you have shown on your blog how artists have inspired your ideas.
    Would it be possible to have some of the pictures illustrating the group collaboration?
    My blog is ashlee9385.wordpress.com if you want to look at it (it's not very good)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Ash! Yeah thats fine, feel free. Your blog is great too, I didn't realise you guys posted your essays on there as well! Ill be sure to keep up with what you're doing :)

      Delete