Thursday 7 November 2013

Investigating my market.

This week I am focusing my attention on where I want my final digital designs to fit into the current market. I decided in the tutorial that I wanted to make prints for interiors, so I have considered designing for large wall murals or panels,  as well as objects like cushions and lampshades. Below are some examples and artists that have given me some ideas and inspiration.

Maxalot

Maxalot are a wallpaper company that create large scale artworks for interiors. I love their use of scale and colour, and their work has really inspired me to think about designing for wall art of some form.


This dark design based on galaxies reminded me of the designs I am doing at the moment because they're dark and have brown/orange tones.



Digitex Wallpapers

Like Maxalot, Digitex Wallpapers create large scale images for wallpapers that aren't in repeat but are a  design in themselves. This is the kind of idea that I want to reflect in my work too.



Wall Panels

I also feel that wall panels might be a good option for my designs. I have thought about splitting my design into 2 onto 2 canvases, to bring in the element of 2 parts that is in Piano Phase (created by the 2 pianos).


Lamp Shades

Another interior item that I have considered designing for is lamp shades. When I have been taking the photos that I am using for my prints, I have used the holes in the paper to let through light to make my photos more interesting. I therefore thought having these designs back onto a light source might put a glowing quality back into my designs. I have also thought about how I can embellish the print to allow holes to let though light from the shade, that would fit in with the design.



Soft Furnishings

I have also considered placing my designs onto softer furnishings like curtains and cushions. As an experiment I placed some of my designs onto an image I found on the web and I thought they were quite successful.


As a result of this research I am going to try and take some of my own photos this week, that I can use when placing my designs, such as blank walls, and plain lampshades and sofas.


No comments:

Post a Comment