Friday 22 November 2013

Unit Review.

Whilst I have really enjoyed this project, it has really challenged my working methods and pushed my practice into completely new directions. It was very frustrating at times but I am so glad that I persisted and continued to see how far out of my comfort zone I could go, as it has really developed my practice. I chose a brief that would challenge me, I used new processes for research methods (when trying to represent sound) and idea development (such as photoshop which I have barely used before), and allowed the project to guide me on a journey. I was so far out of my comfort zone that for the middle of the project I was lost, to the point where I had no idea what to do, where to go next, or how to regain control. But due to insightful tutorials and self motivation, I managed to steer my project into a more focused direction and I am really proud that I did this, as my final outcome is so different to anything I have produced before. 


 
This project has also allowed me to create designs for a specific target audience which I have really enjoyed. Rather than designing with no end use, having a purpose for my designs has allowed me to think about practicality and whether my designs would look good and be achievable for the market I am aiming them at. Looking at other practitioners such as Maxalot has really helped and inspired this process for me. 



I have also discovered a new way of working throughout this project that I will continue to use in my practice as I feel it has enhanced my work. When getting stuck or being in need of inspiration, I have been putting ideas, drawings and processes together, such as my digital print designs with my 3D stitch. Although this wasn't always successful, when it did work, I loved the results, and this is actually how my final designs were developed; mixing my 3D stitch work with photography and photoshop.



The challenges that I faced in this project have definitely developed me as an artist and I feel like the frustrations that I experienced were worth the qualities that I have gained. 

No comments:

Post a Comment